Who We Are and What Do We Do?
Community Youth London (CYL) is an independent music and media charity, who manage a variety of community-based services and initiatives. The charity became operational in January 2007 and quickly gained a positive reputation for our targeted work with young people, our approach to diversity and our innovative services.
Since our establishment in 2007, CYL has steadily grown from a simple vision to a recognized and reputable charity. We have worked with a number of different organizations such as charities and local authorities to provide young people with a unique opportunity and have a growing database of over 22,000+ young people across London, we still work hard to expand our reach and create innovative approaches for working with young people.
The key feature of our approach is empowering young people by encouraging and promoting ownership through a practical partnership which includes young people in decision making that affects them.
Most of our activities are youth-led and managed guided and supported by industry professionals, experienced tutors and peer mentors. Involving young people in all aspects of our work with their voices represented through our Youth Management Committee – YMC.
Although we’ve received recognition for our work including winning awards such as Best Creative Community Group (BBI Southwark) and the Government New Technology award alongside Lambeth Youth Services for the use of Bluetooth media our ultimate reward is making a positive difference in the lives of young people.
The CYL Objectives:
- Involve young people in all aspects of our work
- Develop integrated youth support services
- Offer inclusive, hands-on training and education to young people
- Continually develop social inclusion initiatives
- Actively seek community partnerships to help create equal opportunities for all young people
- Utilise multimedia to address current social issues surrounding young people
- Continually challenge attitudes of today through understanding and communication with young people.