Who We Are and What Do We Do?
We are an independent music and media charity managing a variety of community-based services and initiatives. Established in January 2007 we have worked with a number of local authorities and organisations delivering projects, programmes and youth targetted campaigns. Quickly gaining a positive reputation for our targeted, approach to diversity and our innovative services.
Since 2007, CYL has steadily grown from a simple vision of founder Corey Johnson, President of Defenders Entertainment and CEO of media companies including The Digital Holdings and Three Point Solutions to a recognised and reputable charity. With a growing database of over 22,000+ young people across London, we still work hard to expand our reach and create new innovative approaches for working.
We empower young people through encouraging and supporting ownership of their creative talents and include them in decision making that affects them. Most of our activities are youth-led and managed with support from industry professionals, experienced tutors and peer mentors. Young peoples voices are represented by our Youth Management Committee – YMC.
Although we’ve received recognition for our work including winning awards such as Best Creative Community Group (BBI Southwark) and the Government New Technology award alongside Lambeth Youth Services for the use of Bluetooth media our ultimate reward is making a positive difference in the lives of young people.
The CYL Objectives:
- Involve young people in all aspects of our work
- Develop integrated youth support services
- Offer inclusive, hands-on training and education to young people
- To continually develop social inclusion initiatives
- Actively seek community partnerships to help create equal opportunities for all young people
- To utilise multimedia to address current social issues surrounding young people
- To continually challenge attitudes of today through understanding and communication with young people.